Binoculars are an optical magnifying device, with the help of which objects located at a long distance are monitored. The device consists of 2 tubes connected to each other, the observation is made by two eyes. These binoculars differ from the telescope and pocket monocular, which perform similar functions. Let’s see how to choose the best binoculars for whale watching and for some other tasks as well.
Types of binoculars and features of their purpose
Before you buy binoculars, you should decide on the purpose of the binoculars. The classic variant is universal, it can be used day and night, for night vision you need special binoculars (working on the basis of electronic-optical converters). There are also thermal imaging cameras that react to heat, they are not affected by weather and light conditions. And the last type – digital binoculars, they not only allow you to observe objects at different times of day, but also record the information received on a built-in memory medium.
An important characteristic – magnification, it shows how many times closer you can consider the subject. But at high magnification the quality of the picture is lost, therefore it is not necessary to pursue the given indicator. The higher the magnification, the larger the lens diameter and the heavier the binoculars themselves. The magnification can be fixed and changeable, in the first case it’s a stay-at-home, and in the second, the degree of magnification can be changed, but such binoculars are more vulnerable, especially in extreme exploitation.
How to choose the right binoculars according to their purpose
- Universal binoculars are available in different diameters and magnification types and are most commonly used, and the cost varies depending on the model characteristics.
- Hunting binoculars look similar to the universal binoculars, with its sealed body, seams filled with nitrogen, the device is not afraid of moisture.
- Theatrical binoculars are used in the theater, has elegance and a powerful aperture, wide field of view, except for theatrical activities can be used for excursions.
- Astronomical binoculars with a kin to a telescope, thus it is more mobile and convenient in use, but massiveness of the device anyway assumes use of a tripod.
- Tourist binoculars are similar to hunting glasses, but they are smaller in size and also have protection against moisture.
- Marine and military binoculars have high durability and are designed to operate in harsh conditions. Such binoculars are often purchased by hunters and fishermen. It can also be used to observe whales and other animals.
- Children’s binoculars are completely similar to the universal binoculars, and they are lighter and more often have a fixed magnification.
The quality of the image depends on the lens
Before choosing binoculars for hunting, fishing, and surveillance, pay attention to the material of the lenses. This may be plastic and glass, the latter being better in terms of image quality, but it is more fragile than plastic. There are also quality binoculars with plastic lenses, designed for use in harsh environments.
Which body to choose
The price of binoculars also includes the price of hull material. It is inexpensive and light plastic, but it is not very strong; strong alloy of light metals; carbon weight and strong material. The body can also be rubberized, which is a protection against shocks and creates additional comfort in holding. For specific conditions, choose a damp-proof housing, possibly with anti-sinking and shock-proof properties.